I want a new I-Phone

I have a smart phone, why do I feel so dumb?  

So the I-Phone 4S made its debut a couple of weeks ago and several of my client’s showed up in my office with their new pride and joy.  I don’t say that lightly, these phones bring similar joy and also demonstrate the same demands of a new-born infant.  While one might be in awe of their new cellular device that greets them, talks to them about the weather and actually answers questions, smart phones also know how to increase stress, dominate focus and attention, come in between relationships, and take precedence over spending important quality time with important people in our lives.  I am certainly not condemning smart phones, they provide convenience with instant reminders of appointments, maps that help us get where we need to go, and wake-up calls whenever and wherever we go.  Smart phones are really……smart!! 

Our brightly colored little personal devices have become a very important part of our existence.  Some phones are even fashionable.  Personally, I have the white one.  Unfortunately, I only enjoyed the latest and greatest for a couple of months before the new I-phone 4-S showed up like the proverbial trophy wife.   I am ashamed to admit that I would to sell my I-phone so I could have the new I-phone 4S.   Good grief, what is happening to me!!!   There is something about that little person that talks to you!!  “Good morning Debbie.  You have 5 new e-mails, 2 new voicemails, and 6 text messages.  Would you like for me to read your text messages”?  It’s like your very own personal assistant that’s nice to you.  It’s almost human!!!!

So what is all of this about?  On one level, I am criticizing smart phones, and on the other hand, I am dreaming of my own new next smart phone so I have to do less.  The point is that these little devices dominate a big part of our lives and for some…..it can be detrimental to their health.  Think about how many times you were compelled to look at or text someone on your hand-held device while you were driving a 3,000 lb piece of machinery 65 miles/hr on a busy highway.   Don’t you think that might be a health concern?

All kidding aside, your cell phone could very well be an addiction that you might want to consider if you deal with Attention Deficit Disorder, Anxiety, or Depression.  High school senior Michelle Hackman won a $75,000 college scholarship with a project on cell-phone addiction.   (That’s right $75,000)  She split 150 high school-age students into two different groups.  Both groups stayed in an empty room for 45 minutes, one with their cell phone and the other without.  During the study, members of both groups wore devices that monitored the electrical conductance of their skin, a measure of anxiety, and answered survey questions about their mental state.  Hackman found that kids with their cell phones were more anxious than the ones without.  45% of the kids without their cell phones were so bored that they fell asleep. 

I could ramble on for about 10 pages about my concerns about smart phones impacting mental health and happiness.  From text messages to face-booking, the short-term gratification of knowing what everyone else is doing on Friday night is not always worth the long-term effects wondering why YOU might not be there.  Did I say rejection and depression????

Ok, so now that I have rambled on about smart phones and the potentially negative impact they might have on our mental health, I just realized that I can’t find my I-phone and I am having a panic attack.  That’s not good for YOU!! 

With or without these almost human devices it appears to be stressful.  I guess the truth is that good balance is probably the best advice.  Use with care and concern for self and others.  Don’t text and drive and never let the little device be a substitute for a healthy relationship.


http://www.apa.org/gradpsych/features/2011/cell-phone-addiction.aspx


Comments

Popular Posts