Being Open to Being Broken



Being Open to Being Broken
Being oriented toward science, but grounded in spirituality, I choose the word hope today as my word. After a particularly grueling day at the office, doing the work that I love, it is sometimes hard to help people in pain find something in their world that makes them happy.  Sometimes the emotional pain and suffering is so great in the worlds of others that I visit, that all I can do is sit still and listen with my heart.  As one of my patients so prudently announced to me today.....I am going to listen with my heart. I am always amused by the synchronicity of profound wisdom in many people all at the same time.  Putting my own sarcasm aside after I smiled at the vision of a human heart with ears on it, I clung to the hope in my own heart, for the ability to be still, listen and not fix-it!!
I still hang onto hope.  Hope has science to support the efficacy in treatment with clients, but hope also is mystical as it brings miracles by way of curing impossible disease, and having strength and faith in the worst of human circumstances. Hope is about mystery, faith in the divine, and the intimate dance between what it is to be human, and trusting we are divine wisdom in human manifestation.  Ugh! My brain hurts......
Hope is about the human possibility of emerging out of the darkness and emptiness in our lives. It is about finding the meaning and faith in an illness, traumatic loss, and despair. We all have stories of difficult times and having hope brings us to new dimensions for understanding life in a different way and propelling forth a healing journey. Our darkest times provide us with the potential to grow, change, and understand life in more fulfilling ways. 
But......there is one very important part of this whole equation that just creeps people out.  That first step!  Being open to being broken is that first step the muscle takes before it heals.  

Comments

Popular Posts